Monday, May 25, 2009

Lessons learnt

Hello from Adelaide! I have been here a few days with great ideas about visiting fantastic stores and seeing the beautiful sights but I have been totally out of action suffering from a bad cold and flu so have only ventured to do one lap of the mall and then the rest of the time has been spent suffering in my hotel room.

I am trying not to view it as a wasted trip but rather an opportunity to spend a bit of quality time doing some big picture thinking and I can thoroughly recommend Lessons of a Lipstick Queen by Poppy King. As a young female hoping to start her own business the rise and rise of Poppy King in the 1990s was truly inspirational to me and her story has continued to be one as rich as the beautiful matte lipstick shades that revolutionised make up when she launched her brand.

Her book is great in that it covers both business basics and then applies it to the lessons learnt through her own story. If you are starting out on a journey in your own business or just want to check in with how things are doing in a business you've had for a while I can recommend this as an easy to read business book.

4 comments:

Thea said...

Sorry to hear you're not well. Hugs and kisses to feel better soon!

Nicole said...

I've wanted to read her book ever since I saw an interview with her - very inspirational story!
Hope you feel better soon.
x

beachvintage.com said...

Get better soon. Reading always helps.

Lyssy May said...

Thanks for your kind wishes - am starting to feel much more like my old self and my self imposed quarantine seemed to do the trick!